Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Wordsmiths Union (115 down the hatch)

So, after experiencing tonight's American Idol (yes, yes, but it's great for a laugh), I was just wondering when the people of Memphis would stop worrying about singing and learn how to speak. My goodness, what a linguistic nightmare.

But you're not here to debate the fine delicacy that bad karaoke offers. So let's move on.

Today, our nation is...wait, that's the wrong speech. Gosh, I wonder which speech HE took? Yikes, this could be embarrassing. Hope he leaves the bit out about the hopeless nature of symbiotic mushrooms. 'Cause I know I was gonna. Right, well, at least one of us can wing it, so here goes:

I filled out more paperwork today. Yippee!

My goodness my desk is a mess. It seems I spend more time filling out these multi-page nightmares than I do on getting a store up and running. I believe that they will never end. I will not still be trying to open vendor accounts when the store opens, I will likely bequeath the remaining applications to my grandchildren in hopes that it is finally completed.

Oh, and I applied for a new number today. This one is for the American Book Association, known simply as the ABA. When I get that number I can then get more numbers from regional associations and similar groups (symbiotic mushrooms, symbiotic mushrooms!). I have decided that it will soon be time to blog the entire list of numbers I have thus far collected. Well, OK, the associations that the numbers belong to. I'm not entirely damp you know. However, I have to believe that should you want to open your own store, I will have seriously reduced the workload on your behalf by just throwing cookies at you. My wife Alice crafted a list, on behalf of our deliriously handsome dog Curbie, detailing the multitude of things he has, over his time, eaten. I found this list extremely useful in that it instructed me on all the things I should not leave with range of his happy little teeth. Such will be this list of numbers for you. Less strain on the brain knowing what lies ahead of you and when one of them gets eaten (or eats you) it won't be my fault.

The financing process for Wordsmiths Books is under way. It will be a lengthy haul I'm sure, but hopefully, (insert your favorite deity/religious icon here) willing, I will be through that and secure by the middle to end of February. This is where the reality of the situation truly hits home. Decatur can love the idea of Wordsmiths, the citizens can love the idea of Wordsmiths, the authors and the media and publishers and reps alike can all love the idea, but if the bank says, "Nah, I'd rather buy Doritos" then you're back to square one. A good friend of mine, author David L. Robbins, likes to teach inspiring authors that rejection is not a "no", just a "not here" and you, likewise, have to hold that mantra close to your heart. Resilience will win the day (unless of course you're an atrocious writer or an marketing guy who sells widgets for a living, never reads, and has an ambition to destroy an independent book chain). Stay true to your plan, to your dreams, and never give up. I know I won't. Wordsmiths Books will be the premiere independent book store of the Southeast, and will stand along side The Little Shop of Stories to bring the literary bull eye square on the city of Decatur.

Amen.

As I slink through the sliver of a crack left in the doorway, I want to plug the great and off the wall humorous talent of Christopher Moore. I'm reading Bloodsucking Fiends to prep for his newest release and continuation You Suck: A Love Story, and have to say that I have enjoyed it far more than any of his other works. And that's saying a lot as this is the man who brought us such great books as Lamb: The Gospel According to Jesus' Boyhood Pal Biff and The Stupidest Angel. If you haven't picked up one of his books before, do it now. He's incredible. If you're in the buying mood, click over to our website and order one today. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

Be well all.

--zach

No comments: